for the love of vintage, handmade & twee

As a girl I used to spend hours with my mother on the weekends searching through antique auctions and bric a brac stores. As an adult nothing much has changed, only how much I'm allowed to spend! This is my way of sharing my love with people who love good design and pretty little things.



Monday, July 12, 2010

Weekend delights...

Well I had a lovely weekend with my Mum. On Saturday we went to two different auctions and one antique market. The first antique action is a bit of a tradition in our family- I remember every Saturday morning getting up early to go and have a bacon and egg roll and a long troll through the goodies. There are normally four sections- the really good antiques up the front, the glass and ceramics, the old garage sale style junk and the bits and bob boxes- my dad and I fav's are the garage sale junk and the bits and bobs boxes as there normally is the most random array of goodies!

Anyway I always talk about auctions and the fantastic deals they house; Mum said that the other day she saw a butchers block that went at an auction for about $1,000 and now being sold in an up market antique store for $6,500. So there are definitely savings to be made- all it takes is time. Make sure you do your research go to a couple of auctions and see what they are going for, look at the quality of what is around and go into the stores and compare. This to me makes the purchase so much more fun as when you do find the right one you get the joy of knowing what a great buy it was and having a story behind the purchase!

Here are some of my picks from the weekend:

Chandeliers- these two were amazing for a big room...



Some beautiful smaller ones... make sure when you are buying at auction to look carefully at the crystals! Make sure they are all there and in good condition before you buy.





A mid sized blanket box in great condition...



Country Kitchen sideboard- fantastic project.



This was my favourite- a kitchen storage unit. I am not sure how clearly you can see it but each draw is named- there was a even a prune draw and tapioca draw! Fabulous- I asked the price range and it was est at somewhere around the $1,000 mark. So many people were looking at it I noticed so i am sure it will go for more!







A great shabby chic outdoor table...



This was a cool outdoor sign and thought would make a great single bedhead.



A shabby chic single bed for a little girl...



This was a fabulous basket of old shoe forms.... this will be snapped up by a dealer and sold at about $50 each...





I loved this an old movie projector and films...



A great big blanket box (when I first saw it a little girl was inside and it was the size of her- so cute!)... this would be great under a window or the end of a bed...



And lastly I did happen to get something for myself... a fantastic pair of vintage Dior sunnie's that were straight from a shop and never worn... I am totally in love with them!



Sorry the only photo where I am smiling properly I have my eyes closed! I really am bad at taking photo's... :)

I am hoping this blog looks better on your comp then mine as I left my laptop at home and seem to be working on a 1990's style computer which doesn't even have a good version of paint! xox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails